Well, it’s almost May.
Month #5 in the year, which is almost half-way.
Which makes me start to stress, because I start to think I haven’t accomplished anything.
Then I have to grab me by the scruff of my neck, sit me down,
and say: Look at all the things you’ve done.
- Redesigned and launched my personal site, my creative home on the interweb: Format No Auto.com.
Possibly my biggest accomplishment in a long time, because I’ve been chipping away at a redesign for YEARS. I could have sat on this accomplishment for the rest of the year, that’s how big it is.
But no, I have waaaay too much in me, so I also:
- Started this blog, THE MOMENT, here at WordPress, to get my words out into the universe, and:
- Started my Photostream on Flickr, and posted it full of my drawings, photos, and design work.
- Made a lot, produced a lot, created a lot.
I did as I promised myself I’d do, and I used the shiny new formatnoauto.com as inspiration to create more than I have in years, to kick it into prolific high gear.
Lots more photos, drawings, and graphic design on Flickr, as well as lots of writing here, at THE MOMENT.
- Got eye surgery.
I’ve been wearing glasses and contacts since I was a kid, and I’ve been thinking about getting my eyes lasered for a while now. I did it a couple weeks ago, and I’ve fully healed. I’m very happy to say my vision is amazing. Probably 20/20 (Will find out at my next follow-up appointment).
In the lead up to the surgery, I challenged myself to a little art project. During every day of the last week that I’d ever wear contact lenses, I:
- Created a series of eye/text work. I took photos of my eyes, and incorporated writing from each day into those photos. The results were very satisfying, while some were outright surprising. Please have a look for yourself here.
- Created more workweek time for myself, away from the dayjob, and towards my own work.
This is brand new (technically starting May 1st), so I’m still understandably a little frightened, but I’m mostly stoked. I know what I want and what I want more than anything in this world is to challenge myself to become the artist that I’m meant to be. Anything less would be a violation on my soul.
In tandem with this career shift, I’ve:
- Redesigned my resumé. You can view and download the pdf here.
That’s a pretty damn impressive list of accomplishments, Ash.
And that doesn’t include:
- Giving boxing a shot for a month (until I realized I couldn’t afford it $$$ right now)
- Shearing 40+ alpacas on Van Island
- Taking the train for a weekend trip to Seattle, or
- Seeing Eyedea & Abilities and P.O.S. destroy the Biltmore on 2 separate nights!
Alright, 2010 – bring on the next 8 months!!!